|New Travel Guide > Travel Journal|
Unusual Vacation Destinations - Top 6 Getaway Spots You May Not Have Thought Of
When you want to get away on a relaxing unusual vacation, you almost always end up in one of the most popular unusual vacation areas, ready to relax but surrounded by crowds of other tourists looking to do the same. Instead of taking off to a destination full of people and chaos, try making your vacation plans for a trip to a different kind of place - one of the top best kept secret unusual vacation destinations.
1. For a historical, scenic, unusual vacation spot away from it all, try Quebec City. Located northeast of Montreal, the more popular Quebec hot spot, Quebec City offers the same Canadian charm with fewer tourists. Historic sites are strewn about the city. Guests can take in the sights at Battlefield National Park, a site of countless battles between the French and British for control of Canada. The park offers beautiful landscaping and the perfect place for an afternoon picnic in the park. The Quebec Citadel and the Royal Regiment Museum is another major attraction for those interested in military history. Tours of the Citadel are offered in both English and French.
2. The Carnival de Quebec is an unusual vacation winter attraction that is ideal for families visiting the area. The Carnival includes races, parades, an ice palace, and snow bath, among other attractions. The Carnival is held for 17 days each winter, beginning in mid-January and running into February. The Laurentides Wildlife Park offers an exciting day trip that allows you to check out some of Canada's wildlife. In addition to viewing wildlife, tourists are invited to take part in other activities around the national parks of the reserve. Canoeing, hiking, fishing and swimming are all popular pastimes at Laurentides Wildlife Park in Quebec City.
3. The Florida Keys are always regarded as a popular but somewhat unusual vacation destination. But to enjoy the scenery of the Florida Keys without dealing with the crowds, try the lower Florida Keys. The lower Florida Keys offer a chance to enjoy the unique wildlife that is indigenous to the area. Key Deer Country is home to a countless amount of deer and tourists are welcome to bike through the grounds and take in the scenery. Forests and wetlands make up most of the area and fishing is a major hobby for both locals and tourists alike. Bahia Honda State Park has been regarded as one of the most beautiful scenic beaches in America. The lower Florida Keys are sure to provide you with peace and solitude for the perfect relaxing unusual vacation.
4. When people think about visiting California, the image that typically comes to mind is crowded streets and beaches of Southern California. But if you're looking for a romantic getaway far away from crowds and commotion, consider a different image of California. Rolling hills, pristine mountain tops, and quaint villages - this is what you will find on your honeymoon to Napa Valley. Located north of San Francisco, California Wine Country is famous for its countless wineries and classic hospitality. Napa Valley has become regarded as one of the most popular vacation spots for tourists looking for a romantic getaway or an unusual vacation destination. Stay in a cozy bed and breakfast, sip some of the finest wine in the world, and visit antique shops in Napa Valley. Tourists are encourages to take a Napa Valley winery tour map, which allows you to visit some of the finest wineries in the area and also gives you a great tour of the Napa Valley scenery.
5. One of the best hidden unusual vacation spots for families is found in the south, in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Chattanooga is home to a number of attractions that provide fun and entertainment for families of any kind. The Tennessee Aquarium is located on the banks of the Tennessee River and is home to 12,000 types of creatures from river otters to sharks. The Aquarium is home to the 3-D IMAX Theater which will undoubtedly be a favorite of both kids and parents alike. Down the street from the Aquarium you will find the Creative Discovery Museum, a museum that makes science and art fun for kids of all ages.
6. For an unusual vacation destination with New England charm, visit Portsmouth, New Hampshire, a small port city near the New Hampshire/Maine border. Water Country, New England's largest water park lies in the city and offers a perfect day trip for families looking for an exciting and fun-filled day. The USS Albacore Museum offers guided tours through one of the US Navy's most advanced submarines. Redhook Brewery, a favorite for locals, offers guests a number of brews to try and even provides live music and outdoor concerts during the summer months.